Affect of Thyroid Problems on Your Skin
22 Nov 2021 Posted By Skinlogics
Thyroid disorders are associated with a variety of skin manifestations. An imbalance in the level of thyroid hormones not only affects the organs, but also leads to significant changes in the skin, hair and nails.
The effects of thyroid hormone imbalance on the skin, hair and nail are as follows :
- Skin :
- People with thyroid problems have a dry, scaly and cold skin. This occurs because of decreased sweating in people with thyroid hormone imbalance.
- Due to this dryness of skin, these people are more like to have problems like eczema and their skin tends to wrinkle easily.
- Thyroid imbalance leads to increased pigmentation and dullness of the skin.
- There is an increased frequency of urticaria and connective tissue disorders among thyroid patients.
- People with hypothyroidism can develop swelling of the legs known as pretibial myxedema.
- Hair :
- Thyroid imbalance leads to dry, brittle and coarse hair which tends to break easily.
- Females with thyroid problems also have a tendency of developing female pattern hair loss, in which the hair density in the crown area reduces with widening of the central partition.
- It is common for people with thyroid imbalance to lose hair from the lateral part of the eyebrows, which is known as madarosis.
- There is an increased tendency for autoimmune disorders like alopecia areata and vitiligo.
- Nail :
- Patients with thyroid problems have coarse, dull, thin and brittle nails which break easily.
People with thyroid disorders need to take additional care to prevent development of skin problems and hairfall. Consult your dermatologist for early treatment of these problems.