- Photoprotection is the most important requirement to control melasma. A sunscreen with SPF 50 or more should be applied regularly and ideally needs to be repeated every 3-4 hours for adequate sun protection. Oral sunscreens are also available which are to be consumed regularly and thus protect the skin from the sun.
- Topical creams and oral medications can help in controlling melasma. Creams containing kojic acid, hydroquinone, tranexamic acid, etc can help in lightening melasma. Oral medications in the form of oral tranexamic acid, vitamin C, antioxidants can also be helpful in certain cases. These treatments should be taken strictly under the supervision of a dermatologist.
Apart from these, various treatments are available for the treatment of melasma.
- Chemical peels like glycolic acid, retinol peels, or a combination of kojic acid, ascorbic acid, azelaic acid, etc are used.
- Laser treatment is also very helpful in reducing melasma. It targets the pigment present deep in the dermis and bursts them, which is then removed by the cells of our body.
- Apart from this,plasma therapy can also be very helpful in some cases. In this, growth factor-rich plasma is injected into the face. It helps in reducing pigmentation and provides a glow to the face.