How can I prevent Forehead Lines?
It’s impossible to completely prevent forehead lines but their severity can be minimised by maintaining the skin’s collagen and elastin as well as other healthy proteins. Lifestyle modifications can have a significant impact on the health of the skin and the development of fine lines and wrinkles like forehead lines. To prevent premature ageing of the skin and reduce the appearance of forehead lines, here are some tips:
- Avoid frequent or long-term sun exposure- If it’s necessary to step outside in the daytime, wear wide-brimmed hats, caps, or anything over the head that could help avoid direct hitting of the sun’s UV rays on the forehead. Also, apply sunscreen with a high SPF. This way you can delay the ageing of your forehead skin and the appearance of forehead lines.
- Manage stress- Stress or worries can lead to your frowning face and subsequently cause forehead wrinkles. Therefore, it’s important to keep stress under control. To manage stress, go for stress relieving techniques such as meditation, yoga, aromatherapy, having a healthy diet, talking to a therapist, daily exercising, breathing exercises, and taking adequate sleep.
- Keep the body hydrated- Having dehydrated/dry skin can make forehead lines/ wrinkles more prominent. To avoid this, drink plenty of water daily and use moisturisers so that the skin stays well-hydrated or moisturised. Limit the intake of alcohol, caffeine, and sodium as these cause dehydration.
- Eat a nutritious diet- According to researchers, skin ageing is possible due to a poor diet. Whatever one eats can determine the skin’s health and appearance. It has been found that having more Vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acid-rich food items can help reduce the risk of having dry skin and skin looking wrinkled. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and thus should be added to the daily diet plan. Whereas, having a diet loaded with fats and carbohydrates can increase the risk of skin atrophy and the formation of wrinkles.
- Avoid smoking- Smoking is also one of the causes of premature skin ageing and the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Research studies reveal that tobacco contains chemicals that may reduce collagen production in the skin and even damage the skin’s elasticity, thereby causing premature ageing and wrinkles.
- Do forehead massage- Massaging can help improve blood flow to a particular area. As the blood is mixed with healing nutrients, massaging can help repair the tissues. For forehead massage, you need to make fists with both hands and then press your forefingers on the centre part of your forehead. Keep applying pressure slowly as you move your both fists from the centre towards your temples in a smooth, outward motion. Repeat this 5-10 times every night to prevent the formation of forehead lines.
- Regularly perform facial exercises- Many facial yoga exercises can help make the facial muscles strong and prevent the sagging or wrinkling of the overlying skin. You can practise the one that targets the forehead.